For more information regarding the fantasy series, The Tales of Tanglewood, please visit the website to learn more about Colin and the other characters in the 'wood, and to download a sample of the first few chapters of each book for free.


Monday, July 28, 2008

Irish Sayings in Gaelic

When writing my book, I utilized a number of Gaelic words when naming the fey and other things, but I ran into the problem of spelling vs. pronunciation. Gaelic words are spelled very differently from how they are actually pronounced, and it was difficult to find proper pronunciation for all of them when I tried to make a pronunciation guide. Instead I wound up writing them as they should sound.

Recently, I came across a website which has a number of Irish sayings translated into Gaelic, along with audio samples so you can really hear how they should be spoken, an invaluable tool. The site is very comprehensive, interesting and informative.

http://www.irish-sayings.com/
This site offers you a chance to hear Irish natives speak over 400 words and phrases in the main dialects of the Irish language ("Irish Gaelic").


No comments: